Vilas County Treasurer
The County Treasurer has the statutory duty of receiving and receipting all monies from all sources, to keep accurate financial records, to collect all postponed and delinquent real estate taxes as well as maintaining accurate records of these collections, and to reconcile with local municipalities. In Vilas County, tax delinquent properties are foreclosed by the In Rem Tax Foreclosure Proceeding, and the County Treasurer has the responsibility for this action. The County Treasurer reports monthly to the Finance and Budget Committee concerning investments, available funds and delinquent tax status.
Jerri Radtke, Treasurer
Paulette Sarnicki, Deputy County Treasurer
Sue Petruzates, Administrative Assistant II
Mailing Address Change - Tax Listing Department 715-479-3696
- Mill Rates per Thousand of Assessed
- Ratios for Equalized Value
- Interest Rates
- Understanding Your Tax Bill
Click Here to Pay Property Taxes Online via Point and Pay
- THE ONLINE PAYMENT SERVICE IS NOT AVAILABLE DECEMBER 1 THROUGH JANUARY 31.
- ALL CURRENT YEAR TAX PAYMENTS ARE PAID TO THE LOCAL MUNICIPAL TREASURER UNTIL JANUARY 31.
- FOR DELINQUENT TAX PAYMENTS DURING DECEMBER AND JANUARY PLEASE CONTACT THE COUNTY TREASURER'S OFFICE AT 715-479-3609.
After authorization of your payment, you will be given a confirmation number that you should keep for your records. Please note, it may take up to 5 business days for Vilas County to receive your payment. Payments are not valid until a Vilas County Treasurer receipt is issued. All processed Point and Pay tax receipts will be mailed to the taxpayer. A convenience fee will be applied to all transactions accordingly:
- Credit Card - 2.39%
- Echeck - $1.50
- To pay by phone: 1-866-518-2304 Vilas County does not receive the convenience fee.
Lottery and Gaming Credit
Wisconsin has a Lottery & Gaming credit available for real estate property owners. To qualify, you must own the property as of January 1st and use the property as your primary residence as of that date. If you believe you qualify and are not receiving the credit, to apply in December and January, contact your local municipal treasurer. After that time, contact the County Treasurer's office to apply.
Lottery and Gaming Credit Forms
What is the First Dollar Credit?
- Part of the 2007 Wisconsin Act 20 (Budget Bill) First Applicable to the 2008 tax bill
- Patterned after the Lottery & Gaming Credit
- Based on maximum credit value, this is different than what is used by the Lottery & Gaming Credit
- Maximum credit value cannot exceed total Estimated Fair Market Value of parcel
- Uses the same Equalized Value School Tax Rate as the Lottery and Gaming Credit
The First Dollar Credit applies to a "parcel with improvements". Therefore .......
- A mobile home on which the parking fee is paid does NOT qualify. For property tax purposes, the "parcel" has no improvements. Thus, these mobile homes do not qualify for this credit.
- An improvement on leased land does NOT qualify. For the owner of the land, the "parcel" has no improvements. For the owner of the improvement, there is no parcel, and therefore no credit
- Since the owner of a condominium has a vested interest in the land, a condominium would qualify for this credit provided the other requirements are met.
- Wisconsin State Treasurer-Unclaimed Funds
- Vilas County
- Guide for Property Owners
- Property Assessment Appeal Guide
- WI Department of Revenue
- WI Department of Revenue – FAQ
- WI Department of Revenue– Homestead Credit FAQ
- Brochure: Property Assessment in a Declining Market
January 31 - First or Full payment of property taxes are due to the municipal treasurer.
July 31 - Second installment of property taxes are due to the County Treasurer. Payment options: mail, in person at the County Courthouse or at the following locations: Associated Bank, Peoples State Bank, River Valley Bank - Eagle River locations, and mBank - Eagle River and St. Germain locations, or by Credit Card or e-check through Point & Pay (see above).
We accept a postmark as proof of a timely payment.
Failure to receive a tax bill does not relieve the obligation to pay the tax bill and applicable late fees.
- If ANY installment is not paid timely the entire unpaid balance is delinquent and subject to interest and penalty charges of 1% per month from February 1.
- (Ex. August interest is 7%) contact this office for the payoff amount.
- To receive a paid receipt, please send a self-addressed, stamped envelope with payment.
Delinquent tax payments are accepted year-round.